Thursday, July 9, 2009

Behind the mic at the National Veterans Wheelchair Games


Next week, I will be returning to Spokane, where I will be doing play-by-play at the National Veterans Wheelchair games for xAble.com.

I've called my fair share of sporting events before, but never anything like this, and I'm approaching this opportunity with nervousness and excitement. Never in my life have I ever called any wheelchair sports, let alone watch any for an extended period of time. Practically all of my experience with wheelchair sports came from watching a documentary on the 2008 Paralympics.

So when I learned that I had the gig, I immediately thought about how I would have to change my style in order to make it fit within the context of a world of sports that is entirely new to me. These are mostly athletes with spinal cord injuries who served in the armed forces overseas, a far cry from the usual athletes I covered at Gonzaga - big-name men's basketball players and women's basketball players with torn ACLs.

How was I supposed to tailor my announcing style? Do I dial it back? Do I have to be careful about what I say?

But in the end, I decided not to change a thing.

I plan on calling these games exactly as I would call it for any other sport. A play-by-play announcer's goal is to tell a compelling story, no matter what sport it is. He is supposed to make the viewer feel the excitement of the game, so even non-fans can feel the weight of the moment.

The competitors in next week's NVWG are athletes, and deserve to have the excitement of their games expressed to the fans.

I was initially approaching my task from the wrong perspective, viewing the athletes as being somehow different and therefore needed a different announcing treatment. I was wrong to look at it that way, and in my preparation I've come to realize that it's no different from anything else I've called.

The games may have different rules, but the thrills of victory are the same. The equipment may be different, but it doesn't affect the goals it's being used for. And the backstories of the athletes may be different, but that only means I'll be using information of someone's military service and achievements in past games instead of someone's Division I stats.

It's going to be new, and different, and a hell of a lot of fun.

If anything is going to change, it's going to be how I view and honor athletes. We always build our athletes up to be heroes, but it is the people involved with these games that are the heroes. They served their country and are now using their disability to inspire themselves and others.

I encourage you to go to xAble.com next week and watch the action. Starting on Monday, July 13, xAble.com will be airing most of the events from the week's games, with fellow Gonzaga Broadcasting alum Ben Pearson and I splitting play-by-play duties. The work will probably keep me from posting any new columns, but follow me on Twitter for any updates.

And finally, if you're in Spokane next week, take the day and go see the games. It's going to be a great week.

No comments: