Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sandberg on Sosa


Ryne Sandberg that is. The Hall of Fame second baseman and former Cub told ESPN Radio that he doesn't think that Sammy Sosa belongs in the Hall of Fame.

This coming in the wake of the news that Sosa was revealed to have tested positive for Performance Enhancing Drugs in 2003.

As a quick side note, someone once said that one of the best ways to be credible is to identify your inherent bias, understand that it's there, and try to work your best with that understanding. Yes, Ryne Sandberg shares my last name (no relation), and yes, I've been a big Cubs fan. I've attempted to place those aside as best I could.

When I first heard of Sandberg's comments today, I was taken aback. Ryno was never an outspoken guy; he always went to the ballpark, did his job, and went home without much fuss. So to hear him flat out say that he doesn't think Sosa belongs in the Hall, it came as a bit of a surprise.

But Sandberg was never a guy to speak just to stir up controversy, which makes me view his statements as more credible and objective. To have him come out and speak against Sosa like this means that Sosa's misdeeds are something he takes seriously.

If there was one thing about Sandberg that defined his personality as a ballplayer, is that he understood and embraced the integrity simplicity of the game. In his autobiography "Second to Home," he spoke at length about how hard work and dedication meant more to him and benefitted him than anything else.

In 2005, at the height of the steroids scandal with BALCO, the Barry Bonds case, and more, Sandberg was inducted into the Hall of Fame, and in his induction speech he talked about what the game meant to him, and how it should be treated by every player:

"My managers like Don Zimmer and Jim Frey, they always said I made things easy on them by showing up on time, never getting into trouble, being ready to play every day, leading by example, being unselfish. I made things easy on them? These things they talk about, playing every day, that was my job. I had too much respect for them and for the game to let them down. I was afraid to let them down. I didn't want to let them down or let the fans down or my teammates or my family or myself. I had too much respect for them to let them down.

...But Harry, who was a huge supporter of mine, used to say how nice it is that a guy who can hit 40 homers or steal 50 bases drive in a hundred runs is the best bunter on the team. Nice? That was my job. When did it become okay for someone to hit home runs and forget how to play the rest of the game?

...A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect.

If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera."


There are always people who will spew endless talk about steroids. Talk show hosts, TV personalities, columnists can drone on and on about PEDs what what should be done, who belongs in the hall, etc.

But I respect Sandberg's words over all of them

It seems like the people who's words would truly matter on the subject of steroids - the former and current players and managers - routinely clam up on the subject, when in fact their opinions would be valid, both in defense and opposition.

So when Ryne Sandberg - someone who played with these players, understood baseball, and shown immense respect for the game - speaks his mind on the subject, that's an opinion I take seriously.

No comments: