Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Beatles and Sports: Combining two loves

In honor of today's re-release of the entire Beatles catalogue on remastered CD, I thought I'd take a moment to pay tribute to the world's most famous band.

I grew up listening to The Beatles' music, and they have inspired my creativity on many occasions. During the past few years at Gonzaga working at GUTV, I managed to put a little Beatles influence into some of the sports coverage.

First up is the intro to GUTV's broadcast of Gonzaga women's basketball, set to the tune of - appropriately - "Hey Bulldog." I think it's a very underrated, rockin' song, and I had always wanted to use it in some fashion. With our basketball broadcasts, I finally got that opportunity.



Next up, the open for a Gonzaga Baseball broadcast, in which I used "Tomorrow Never Knows." The intro and first few bars of that song are so unique; it's in one chord the whole time, and yet The Beatles managed to get an incredible sound out of it. John Lennon's vocals are so haunting on it, and even though the song entirely wouldn't make sense in a baseball open, I knew I wanted some snippet of John's voice. I convinced play-by-play man Travis Lucian to include the word "shine" at the end of a sentence, and everything came together. The ominous tone of the song worked perfectly with the storyline of the game - the sense of desperation from the fading Bulldogs.



It just shows that The Beatles' music is universal; it even works perfectly with the sports teams of a private college in Washington.

No comments: